Friday, March 04, 2005

Working late on Friday night sucks big time!

Sitting in my office, staring at the Safety Action Plan I am in the middle of designing, and feeling bored as hell! A day filled with lectures and meetings hasn't ended the week on a nice note.

But, one thing is cheering me up......... tomorrow is Saturday........ SATURDAY yeah! My day of relaxation, with no work, wife or kids to divert my attention from my main hobby - gaming. Yeah, I know what you're thinking....."Gaming is for kids"..... well I'm a big kid OK, actually all guys are big kids. Just look at us when our youngsters open their Xmas pressies and they get toys. Who is the first to play it with the excuse of "I'm just setting it up", "I've got to test it first", "WHO PAID FOR IT?".

Well the games that I'm into ain't really for kids. They involve metal miniatures, paint, scalpels, needle files, thinners, drills and low flying tape-measures and dice. Wargames to be exact. Some people think that wargamers are nerds / geeks...... hmmm, nobody better say that to my face. Granted some gamers (actually quite a few) are the type of guy that can't get girlfriends, and thinks that a good time is spending all day in a cyber-cafe using the chatrooms to send messages to their friend two seats away. But hey, there are normal geezers amongst the gaming community as well. You only have to come to our local Games shop on a Saturday to see a fine collection of normal blokes from all walks of life and professional careers, having fun whilst re-enacting the complete obliteration of your opponent's army (physical representation is not normally considered good form, unless the b*****d really annoys you).

So tomorrow I'll be popping down to my local games shop, carrying my metal figures that have been lovingly painted and modelled, equipped with my "Dice of Doom"TM, and "Tape-Measure of Ranged Destruction"TM looking to have some fun, smoke some cancer sticks wiv da boyz, and generally forget about work, life, the universe and everything.

Current 'in-game' is Confrontation by Rackham. A skirmish fantasy wargame with fun rules and absolutely superb miniatures. Have finished some of my Mid-Nor Dwarves and need to finish enough for a complete army, but also need to start on my Devourers and Drunes. The link below takes you to the Rackham store where you can see the miniatures in all their goodness:

http://www.rackham-store.com/index_us.htm

Need to get a piccy added here, so everyone can see the geezer that is writing these ramblings..... maybe later.




Thought for the day:
"Wargames ain't for pansies, coz the S.A.S. do it and they kick pansy butt big time!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home